2007/12/12

That scary history...

St.Petersburg online newspaper fontanka.ru announced the opening of a new tourist attraction, called "The Neva horror. The cyberspace of fear". The main source of inspiration for the designers was the history of St.Petersburg. 1,300 square meters of the show will teem with special effects, holographic images and mirrors. There will be 13 rooms illustrating the events like the imprisonment of princess Tarakanova, murders of the emperor Pavel I and Grigori Rasputin, death of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and others. One notable exception is a fictional crime of Rodion Raskolnikov.

I can only wonder what effect of such show might have on the foreign guests. On the one hand, of course, it might raise the interest to the Russian history, but for too many people, I'm afraid, it will remain the main source of their knowledge. Qualibet. I mean, whatever. I just hope they'll hire a couple of historians as consultants.

If you happen to visit the show, don't forget to say "Horrorshow, droog! Ocean horrorshow" when you leave. :)

2 comments:

Kyle and Svet Keeton said...

I for one would love to see it. Sounds cool!

Why would they throw in one fictional crime? I assume that the others 12 are real crimes or truths?

I gather that this is a money making tourist spot?

Lets go..

Kyle and Svet

Dimitri said...

I haven't seen the full list of the presented events yet, but I assume that yes, most of them are real. But, as you have said, it's a matter of making money and if they wanted to add a fictional story, it's up to them :). The educational value of the show will not suffer, I suppose :)